Dr. Javier Arregui is the winner of the VI Edition of the Catalunya-Europa 21st Century Award with the research work entitled "Winners and losers in the Integration Process: Rethinking the Union from a Perspective of European Citizenship". The prize is awarded by the Catalunya Europa Foundation in collaboration with the Banco Sabadell Foundation. The jury, chaired by Mr. Javier Solana with Mr. Antoni Castells as vice-president and Messrs. Carles Casajuana, Joan Majó and Eduard Vallory as members, have chosen this research work among 11 candidates. The members of the jury have highlighted the bune level of several of the works presented in this VI edition of the award.
"Winners and losers in the integration process" reflects on the existence of winners and losers in the European integration process. According to Arregui, the current European society is divided into two parts made up of different social groups that coexist but at the same time are separated in the process of European integration. The study shows that European integration policies clearly benefit around 20% of European citizens, while the remaining 80% do not identify themselves in the European integration process and, if they do, it is marginal. These data show that European policies favor people who meet certain conditions of training and work methodology. Based on these premises, the work proposes proposals to redirect the integration process through shared values, experiences, institutions and public policies.
About the winner
Javier Arregui is Associate Professor at the Department of Policies and Social Sciences of the Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona, ??Jean Monnet Chair of Governance of the European Union and researcher at the Public Policy Center at UPF-Johns Hopkins University. His research in recent years has focused on European governance issues such as the different stages of the European Union's political process and its explanatory mechanisms or the democratic deficit of the Union and how this conditions the fact that there are winners and losers in the European Union. European integration system.
The Catalunya Europa Foundation will publish the winning work soon.